Joyce Yang is Bachelor of Arts/Laws (Hons) student at ANU College of Law
1. What inspired you to study law at ANU?
Turning my argumentative personality into a career
2. What is your favourite spot on campus?
The spa and sauna at Club Lime on campus is great for relaxation
3. What's the biggest myth about studying law?
That you are stuck with textbooks all day. Your learning experience is what you make of it.
4. How do you relax away from university?
Usually I travel - these days I find new music to listen to and new shows to watch
5. How would you describe Canberra in three words?
Simple, peaceful and unique
6. What is your dream job?
I would love to do more legal/policy reform in the LGBTIQ+ space
7. If you could meet one historical figure, who would it be?
8. Who’s your favourite fictional character?
Dr. McDreamy from Grey’s Anatomy
9. What’s a project or hobby you’re currently working on that motivates you?
Currently working on online community legal outreach so Canberrans stay connected to legal services in this difficult time
10. What’s your favourite quote?
‘The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing’ - Walt Disney
11. What’s your favourite place in Canberra to visit?
12. What's been your favourite ANU Law course or study experience and why?
Either my law exchange to Italy because I had the best time, or the Prison Legal Literacy clinical which taught me to empathise
13. What’s the secret to studying from home successfully?
Don’t do it from your bed
14. Who is someone you look up to?
My math teacher from high school - Eddie Woo. It’s rare to come across someone that passionate about what they do.
15. What was the last book you read?
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
16. What’s an underrated movie?
17. What’s your favourite dish?
It changes all the time - right now, sushi!
18. What’s your favourite song or playlist to study to?
19. What’s a skill you’d like to learn?
How to speak Mandarin
20. What advice would you give to others feeling uneasy during this time?
Take it easy on yourself - take a nap, call a friend, do a facemask, go for a walk, listen to music and remember to breathe.
See more Humans of ANU Law here