Associate Professor Jolyon Ford is Associate Dean (International) at ANU College of Law.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself including what brought you to ANU.
Philippa Weeks recruited me in 2004 as a Lecturer ‘B’ from Sydney Law School staff. Met Ally. Returned 2008 to propose to The Ally and do a RegNet PhD. Returned 2015: ANU, Canberra, Australia, these three things are hard to beat for one’s life and livelihood.
2. What do you enjoy most about working at the ANU College of Law?
People, campus, scone days. Collegiality and respect
3. What is your favourite spot on campus?
4. How do you relax away from university?
Exercise; lately, lots of colouring in!
5. How would you describe Canberra in three words?
Open, sunlit, civil
6. What inspired you to pursue academia/your professional field?
Academia: love teaching, debating, writing. Perhaps some scope to shape policy.
Field: growing up in troubled/transitional countries.
7. What was your dream job as a child?
I wanted to work outside but help people and ideally it involved helicopters, so it was "paramedic"
8. If you could meet one historical figure, who would it be?
Too hard. The Buddha and/or my grandfather. Beers with Roald Dahl, Mark Twain and Oscar Wilde would be fun.
9. Who’s your favourite fictional character?
Harry Flashman or Yossarian from Catch-22
10. What’s a project or hobby you’re currently working on that motivates you?
Vegetable gardening (inspired by Dr Heather Roberts)
11. What’s your favourite quote?
Niebuhr’s ‘Serenity’ prayer, or the Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi.
12. What’s the secret to working from home successfully?
Routines/structure; discipline; mini-breaks; tea
13. Who is someone you look up to?
Obama. Look up to and rather miss.
14. What was the last book you read?
Associate Professor Joshua Neoh’s new book! Not yet. It was a collection of Raymond Carver’s short stories.
15. What’s an underrated movie?
Maybe District 9 (2009). Don’t start me on overrated ones.
16. What’s your favourite dish?
Tough question! Starter: pumpkin soup; main: roast beef with potatoes, Yorkshire pudd and the Fully Monty (must include cauliflower and white sauce, peas, gravy); dessert: apple and rhubarb crumble with cream and ice-cream. Burp.
17. What’s your favourite place in Canberra to visit?
18. What’s your favourite song or playlist to work to?
Also too hard. Out of Africa (1985) soundtrack is one fave.
19. What’s a skill you’d like to learn?
See more Humans of ANU Law here