Studying Elsewhere Approval

The Studying Elsewhere Approval form is for LLB, LLB(Hons), JD, LLM, Grad Cert, MLP and GDLP students who wish to study at another institution, whether it be domestic or overseas, semester length or short program. This form must be completed in order to confirm that law course/s will be credited towards a students ANU Law program on return.

Students will use this form for:

  • Applying for cross-institutional study
  • Applying for independent study abroad
  • Obtaining course approval for Global Programs Law Exchange


Cross-institutional study

Studying at another Australian university and counting the course towards your ANU program is known as cross-institutional study.

You will need to consider whether you have room in your degree to undertake cross-institutional study. This will depend on which degree program you are in and how many courses you have already studied elsewhere. This may vary depending upon whether you:-

  • have transferred to the ANU and you have already applied for course credit from another university, and/ or
  • are an LLB (Hons) student or an a LLB student, (and if you are an LLB (Hons) student, how many subjects you completed before 2015), and/ or
  • have already completed law electives on exchange, and/ or you plan to go on exchange.


Independent study abroad

Study abroad is where you arrange your own independent overseas study and have it count towards your ANU degree.  Study abroad is not a formal ANU program and as such students are not enrolled at ANU during their time abroad. Students need to arrange their own enrolment as international fee paying students at the host university and pay international fees directly to their host university. 

Popular options for LLB students studying abroad include (but not limited to) the London School of Economics, Kings College London and the ACICIS Law Practicum Program. For more information please go to Independent Short Course options.


Global Programs Exchange

Once you are approved for Exchange and have been allocated a host university, you must have any law courses you are intending to study whilst on exchange approved by the Sub-Dean (International) before departure. This is to ensure you will receive law credit on your return. If you wish to discuss your choices, you can email or make an appointment via To obtain approval please complete the Studying Elsewhere Approval form on this page. It is recomended that you submit for approval more course options than you need -  in case some courses are no longer avaliable when you enrol at your host uni.

Please ensure you read What law courses can I study on exchange? FAQs before submitting the approval form



Before completing the approval form, please ensure you know the following details about each course. Incomplete applications will not be progressed.

  • Name of course
  • Course code
  • Description of the subject matter/area
  • Unit value
  • Australian Qualification Framework(AQF) level, eg. a level 7 course is not equivalent to a level 9 course*
  • Workload statement: e.g. two hours of lectures and one tutorial per week
  • Indicative Assessment: what elements make up the assessment and what are their weightings?
  • Reading list*
  • Topic list (if applicable)
  • A link to the web portal for the course
  • Course Dates (bearing in mind that courses that clash with ANU semester teaching dates and/or exam periods may not be approved)*

*not required for Exchange course approval

Apply now



  • Study Abroad applicants are responsible for enrolling themselves at the Host Institution once courses are approved.
  • If the courses you are studying elsewhere will complete your ANU program requirements (ie you'll be graduating), you should indicate this on the online application form when applying.
  • Ensure that you are aware of the enrolment and procedural deadlines of the host university you plan to study at. Allow plenty of time to meet all deadlines.
  • ANU domestic cross-institutional students are normally subject to the same statutes, regulations and rules of the Host Institution as apply to students enrolled in an award program at the Host Institution. These statutes, regulations and rules relate to admission, attendance at classes, Census Date, performance or work, discipline, conduct and progress and are to be found in the publications of the Host Institution.
  • If you enrol at ANU, but subsequently decide not to proceed with the ANU enrolment but to study elsewhere on a domestic cross-institutional basis, you must ensure that your ANU enrolment is cancelled. Failure to do so may result in an additional HECS/Fee liability and failure in the courses.
  • ANU domestic cross-institutional students will be charged fees for the courses undertaken at the Host Institution on the basis of their fee paying type at the ANU, unless designated otherwise by the Host Institution. HECS liable students are required to complete a HECS/Fee Help request (eCAF) form at the Host Institution and will be required to provide written evidence of their status at their Home Institution. For advice on the fees payable, consult the fees office at the Host Institution.


Except in very rare situations, approval for non-ANU study is usually only given for law electives. Permission to undertake compulsory courses at another institution is only granted in compelling and compassionate circumstances.

LLB(Hons) studying elsewhere implications

Studying elsewhere has implications for how a LLB(Hons) grade is calculated.

When you study a course at a university other than the ANU, you do not get a grade for that course. You obtain credit towards the total number of units that you will need to count towards your law degree program requirements.

If you are in enrolled in the LLB(Hons) program, courses with no grade cannot be counted in your ‘Honours calculation’. This may therefore affect how many courses a student may ‘discount’ for the purposes of the discount rule. For information about how the discount rule applies, please refer to the page that sets out how LLB (Honours) is calculated.

To ensure that students complete a sufficient number of courses at the ANU Law School to be eligible to graduate with LLB (Hons), students in that program will generally not be permitted to undertake more than 4 law electives (24 units) at another institution, whether that study is made up of courses taken whilst on exchange, on a cross intuitional basis, or a mixture of both.




Domestic Cross-institutional

Once you have received the official final transcript from your domestic institution, you must apply for credit via the ANU College of Law Credit Form. Students are responsible for obtaining a copy of the official transcript from the host university and applying for credit – it will not be processed automatically.

International Study Abroad

Once you have received the official final transcript from your overseas institution, you must apply for credit via the ANU College of Law Credit Form. Students are responsible for obtaining a copy of the official transcript from the host university and applying for credit – it will not be processed automatically.

Global Programs Exchange students

A copy of your official transcript will be sent by your exchange university to ANU Global Programs who will forward it to Student Administration Services at ANU College of Law. The Student Administration team will then process your credit automatically.

Updated:  10 August 2015/Responsible Officer:  College General Manager, ANU College of Law/Page Contact:  Law Marketing Team