Applying online, offer & acceptance

I've submitted my online application, what happens next?

Your application is acknowledged by the ANU Admissions office. It is then electronically sent to the ANU College of Law Higher Degree Research Program Coordinator who creates an application file. Any referee reports or certified documents sent to the admissions office is forwarded to the ANU College of Law and collated in the application file.

Once the application file is complete (all compulsory documentation is received) the application is assessed by the Higher Degree Research Program Director. If you have applied for the domestic or international scholarship rounds your application will be held until the scholarship ranking process begins. Once the application has been assessed and an outcome finalised the application file is sent back to the ANU admissions office and/or ANU scholarships office for correspondence to be generated and sent to the applicant.

  • If you receive a full offer for admission then you can accept your offer online. Instructions on how to accept your offer will be included in your offer letter.
  • If you receive a conditional offer for admission you should first meet the requirements of the conditions (this often involves sending certified copies of transcripts or other required documents), then notify the admissions office of having met the conditions and then you will receive a full-offer for admission.

Guidelines for externally based (domestic only) students

As a general rule, we encourage HDR students to be based on the ANU campus, or in Canberra, wherever possible. But, in appropriate circumstances, students who wish to study externally may have that external study approved.

If you are considering external HDR study, we encourage you to raise this with the HDR Director and/or Deputy Director at an early stage. To apply to study as an externally based student you must request in writing that you want to be able to study as an externally based student. The letter should explain how you intend to complete your thesis while being external, what access you will have to research material, and how you intend to keep in touch with your supervisor and panel. You should also address how often and when you plan on attending the ANU campus (keeping in mind the minimum requirement of four weeks per year).

The candidate, irrespective of where they reside, must normally spend a minimum period equivalent to at least four weeks in each year of enrolment at the University, or such period as is required by the chair of the supervisory panel and the Delegated Authority. The periods of residency must be indicated by the Chair of the Supervisory Panel and noted in the candidate's annual report.

During a student’s period of study, the Chair of the Supervisory Panel will continue to monitor a student’s residence, subject to the requirements set out above, including approval of the minimum period of attendance, and report any approved variation of the minimum period to the committee. At his/her discretion, the Chair may refer an application to the Delegated Authority for consideration.


I've received an offer of admission, what should I do now?

First, make sure to accept the offer in accordance with the instructions given in the offer notice. Once you have a confirmed offer, you should now start to consider your living arrangements.


ANU has a wide range of accommodation on campus. Both fully catered and self-catered accommodation is available. All accommodation has excellent facilities including computer rooms, laundry and tutoring. You must apply early for on-campus accommodation because places are limited. Each year, many students who register late are not successful in gaining on-campus accommodation. If you plan to live off-campus, you should arrive in Canberra at least 3-4 weeks before the start of semester. It can take some time to find suitable accommodation. ANU has Housing online that can assist you with finding on campus or off campus accommodation. Specifically graduate accommodation is a useful starting point. Alternatively advertises private rental accommodation in Canberra and surrounds.


There are four childcare centres on campus and a parenting room located on the first floor of the Student Union building. Acton Early Childhood Centre, Central Canberra Family Day Care, Heritage Early Childhood Centre and University Preschool and Child Care Centre. See Student equity for further information on campus childcare. 

Living in Canberra

The ACT Government's Canberra: create your future is a useful resource for people moving to Canberra. 

Part-time work

The Careers and Employment Service advertises casual jobs available every day. There are some jobs available on campus.

  • International students should ensure they have the appropriate visa to work in Australia and be aware that they are limited to working 20 hours per week maximum.
  • Students should not assume that they will be able to get work to cover their living expenses as jobs can be difficult to get.

Cost of living in Australia for international students

Some students are unprepared for the cost of living while studying and find themselves in financial difficulties. It is important to be aware that the ANU has extremely limited financial assistance available to students, so you must plan your budget carefully. For a realistic estimation of living expenses, excluding tuition fees, see Students: cost of living.

Health cover

International students must also have health insurance cover. More information about this cover is available from Allianz Care Australia.

Updated:  10 August 2015/Responsible Officer:  College General Manager, ANU College of Law/Page Contact:  Law Marketing Team