The ANU Law School is proud to offer a rare opportunity for two students to undertake an internship in a London legal firm. The opportunity has been made possible by the College’s alumni community in London and will see two students experience a supervised 12 week internship in London, one with Latham & Watkins LLP and the other with PwC London. The aim of the scholarship is to provide realistic, high-level and varied legal work experience through a supervised internship in London. Whilst the internship itself is unpaid, the selected recipients will be provided with a scholarship valued at £8,000.
The scholarships available are:
- Scholarship for an Internship with a London Legal Firm/Barrister
- Equity Scholarship for an Internship with a London Legal Firm*/Barrister
*This scholarship is aimed at women, students originating from regional or remote area of Australia, disadvantage or financial need, indigenous students, or students who have or had refugee status.
Field of study
To be eligible a student needs to be enrolled fulltime in a program of study leading to the award of either the Bachelor of Laws (Honours) or the on campus Juris Doctor degree. Both domestic and international students are eligible. Applicants should have a strong academic record and can demonstrate their capacity for the self-reliance which the internship demands.
Selection is made on the basis of academic merit and application. Applicants who have strong academic merit, possess strong critical thinking, writing, and communication skills, the capacity for hard work and are motivated to experience the practice of law internationally will be favourably considered.
Selection is made on the basis of academic merit and application. Applicants will:
- Have strong academic merit;
- Possess strong critical thinking, writing, and communication skills;
- Demonstrate the capacity for hard work, and
- Be motivated to experience the practice of law internationally.
Successful applicants may need a visa to work in the UK. For more information on visas and eligibility to work in the UK check the GOV.UK webpage.
- A 12 week supervised internship at Latham & Watkins LLP or PwC in London during December 2017 – February 2018.
- £8,000 scholarship (normally used to assist with airfares, accommodation and day-to-day living expenses whilst undertaking the internship).
- The opportunity to experience realistic, high-level and varied legal work experience in London and gain an insight into the practice of the law in the UK that you wouldn’t otherwise experience.
The Internship is for 12 weeks. Start and finish dates are flexible, but the program must be completed between December and February.