Indigenous Peoples and the Law
In the Media
Elizabeth Curran writes in The Age
Anthony Hopkins speaks to SBS Hindi
speaks to The Daily: 2SER
interviewed by Radio Australia
Ernst Willheim quoted in
Jolyon Ford speaks to ABC's The World Today
quoted in ABC News
Anthony Hopkins quoted in The Canberra Times
Judy Harrison The West Australian
Anthony Hopkins quoted in Canberra Times
- The Hon. Chief Justice Robert French, Chief Justice of the High Court
- Michael Mansell, Secretary, Aboriginal Provisional Government
- Representation of the Indigenous people in the law reform
- Constitutional recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- Law reform and Indigenous People
- Twenty five years on: the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody
- Initiatives to increase participation rates of Indigenous students in law school, the legal profession and in research
- The Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybould, Attorney-General of Canada
Canada is coming to terms with its colonial legacy and its treatment of generations of Indigenous peoples.
As an Indigenous woman, a former Crown prosecutor and a former Regional Chief of the British Columbia Assembly of First Nations, the Honourable Jody Wilson- Raybould has long been an advocate for change.
- Marcelle Burns, University of New England
- Jennifer Nielsen, Southern Cross University
In this paper, we share our reflections on our success in using theory as a practice to challenge the wicked problem of racism in the law classroom.
The Centre for International and Public Law is proud to host a panel discussion during National Reconciliation Week. Each panel member will speak on an aspect of their research that affects Indigenous communities.
- Judge Matthew Myers AM, ALRC Commissioner
Judge Myers will speak about his work as ALRC Commissioner on the inquiry into the incarceration rates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Join us for a FREE lunch hosted by the ANU Indigenous Department and the ANU College RAP Committees.
PhD Student and LRSJ Manager Justine Poon has a 'Letter to the Land' included in the Greater Together art exhibition at ACCA in Melbourne.
- Sarouche Razi, Kimberley Community Legal Service
- Professor Brian P. Schmidt AC, ANU Vice Chancellor
- Senator Patrick Dodson
This launch marks a new partnership between Kimberley Community Legal Services and the ANU through which KCLS aims to substantially innovate and extend civil law legal help for Aboriginal people in the Kimberley. The hope is that this will enable and position KCLS to manifest breakthrough legal service models based on long-term relationships with clients, working from client vantage points, in furtherance of client goals.
- A/Prof Asmi Wood
- Dr Ron Levy
- Dr Anthony Hopkins
- A/Prof Molly Townes O'Brien
Several of our colleagues recently attended the Indigenous Cultural Competency for Legal Academics Program in Melbourne. They will be presenting a Teaching and Learning forum about the ideas discussed at the Program.
- His Honour Dr John Lowndes, former Chief Judge
Join Chief Judge Dr John Lowndes, together in conversation with Dr Anthony Hopkins, as he shares his experience of the involvement of First Nations Australians in the criminal justice process in the Northern Territory.
- Dr Cassandra Steer
Join Dr Cassandra Steer in this virtual research seminar where she talks about the benefits of incorporating Australian Indigenous knowledge into space governance.
Law Reform and Social Justice (LRSJ) has invited three national experts to share their views on the adequacy of existing legal regimes, and the relationship between the extractive industries, Indigenous communities, and the law.
Join the Law Reform and Social Justice (LRSJ) annual launch and recruitment drive to hear from our director, Associate Professor Matthew Zagor, our student leaders to learn about how to get involved.
- Indigenous rights
- History of Indigenous Rights Law
- Native title
- Indigenous Rights and Environmental Law and Governance
- International Law of Indigenous peoples
- Access to Government Information
- Global Indigenism and the Law
- Indigenous Peoples and the Courts
- Cross-cultural Communication in Legal Contexts
- Indigenous Peoples and Criminal Law
- Indigenous Perspectives on Law