From Hong Kong to Perth, Michelle Hankey (GDLP '14) shares her journey from law graduate to admission as a lawyer of the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
Honorary Senior Lecturer
BEc (ANU); LLB (ANU); LLM (Melb); GradCertHigherEd (NE).
ANU College of Law, Bld 6, Fellows Rd, Acton ACT 2600
ANU College of Law, 5 Fellows Rd, Acton ACT 2600
- Associate Director, ANU Legal Workshop (2017
- Deputy Director, PEARL (Profession, Education and Regulation in Law) Centre (ANU, 2015-cont)
- Editorial Board, PEARL Press (ANU, 2015-cont)
- GDLP/MLP Research and Education Strategy Co-ordinator (ANU, 2015-16)
- Lawyer Development Advisor (Australian Government Solicitor, Jan-Jul 2012)
- JD Director (ANU, 2010-11)
- Board Secretary & Public Officer, North & North-West Community Legal Centre (NSW, 2005-2009)
- Chair, Teaching & Learning Committee (UNE Law School, 2006-2009)
- Partner, Gadens Lawyers Melbourne (1998-2003)
- Associate, Gadens Lawyers Melbourne (1994-1998)
- Solicitor, JM Smith & Emmerton (1992-1994)
Significant research publications
- Collins, C & Bloomfield, S 2017 forthcoming, 'Hobart Town, 1816: Andrew Bent and fermenting change', Tasmanian Historical Research Association: Papers and Proceedings, April 2017.
Collins, C & Webbey, S 2014, 'Collaboration: A Crucible for Cultivating Common Understanding in Professional Legal Education', in Fiona Westwood, Karen Barton (ed.), The Calling of Law: The Pivotal Role of Vocational Legal Education, Ashgate Publishing Ltd, Farnham, UK and Burlington, USA, pp. 145-164.
Craig is currently pursuing PhD research on 'Defamation; Law and Public Opinion in the Australian Colonies; 1824-1874'.
Professor Paul Maharg heads up our newest research Centre, the PEARL (Profession, Education and Regulation in Law) Collaborative.
Honours thesis supervision
I am willing to supervise in the areas:
- Defamation & Free Speech
- Legal History
- Legal Education
- Litigation and Dispute Management
- Legal Profession
- Intellectual Property
I have previously supervised:
- Michael Windeyer, 2015:
- Convenor, Honours Thesis (ANU LLB & JD, 2012-2016)
- Convenor, Bankruptcy & Insolvency (ANU LLB & JD, 2009-11 & 2013)
- Co-convenor, Foundations of Australian Law (ANU JD, 2014)
- Convenor, Becoming a Practitioner courses (ANU GDLP, 2012-16)
- Convenor, Civil Litigation-Professional Practice Core (ANU GDLP, 2010-13 & 2015-16)
- Co-convenor, Ethics & Professional Responsibility (ANU GDLP, 2013)
- Convenor, Federal Litigation (ANU LLM, 2009)
- Convenor, Human Rights Litigation (ANU LLM, 2009)
- Convenor, Consumer Law Practice (ANU GDLP, 2009)
- Convenor, Media Law (UNE LLB & JD, 2006-8)
- Convenor, Honours in Law (UNE LLB & JD, 2003-8)
- Convenor, Information Technology Law (UNE LLB & JD, 2003-4 & 2007-8)
- Convenor, Intellectual Property Law (UNE LLB & JD, 2003-6)
- Convenor, Jurisprudence (UNE LLB & JD, 2006)