- Stefano Vescovi, Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Switzerland
On 10 December 1948, the UN General Assembly, presided by Australia’s HV ‘Doc’ Evatt, adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
- Dr Daniel Ghezelbash, Senior Lecturer, Macquarie Law School and Director of the Macquarie University Social Justice Clinic
In August, Italy’s Deputy Prime Minister explicitly stated that the country should follow Australia’s ‘Operation Sovereign Borders’ policy of not allowing asylum seekers who arrive by boat to enter Australia and apply for protection visas.
- Nathan MacDonald, Senior Policy Lawyer, Law Council of Australia
- John Farrell, Policy Lawyer, Law Council of Australia
Submissions are contributions made by civil society to law reform inquiries. They are a vital aspect of the legal system, allowing the public to participate in the lawmaking process and to scrutinise existing laws.
- Professor Margaret Thornton, ANU College of Law
- Dr Heather Roberts, ANU College of Law
- Prue Bindon, Barrister
RBG, a documentary directed by Betsy West and Julie Cohen, explores the career, legal legacy and life of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the US Supreme Court.
- Professor Siobhán Wills, Ulster University
- Associate Professor David Letts AM CSM, ANU College of Law
- Associate Professor Jeremy Farrall, ANU College of Law
Between 2005 and 2007, United Nations peacekeeping troops carried out several raids in Cité Soleil - an economically depressed neighbourhood of Port au Prince, Haiti.
- Professor the Hon Gareth Evans AC QC, Chancellor, The Australian National University
Register now for this rare opportunity to hear one of Australia’s most experienced politicians and speakers set out what the international community can to do to protect populations against the mass abuse of human rights.
- Heidi Yates, the ACT Victims of Crime Commissioner and inaugural chair of the ACT LGBTIQ Ministerial Advisory Council
Whilst the fight for same sex marriage legislation has been won, a lot of challenges restricting the rights of our LGBTIQ* community remain. Why are intersex children still facing surgical mutilation to make their body conform to a binary conception of sex?
- Professor Aaron Fellmeth, Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law, Arizona State University
Immediately after assuming office, President Donald Trump issued blanket suspensions on immigration from seven Muslim countries, including refugees, valid visa holders, and lawful permanent residents.
- Gillian Triggs, Former President of the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)
Former President of the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) Gillian Triggs will examine the state of play of human rights in Australia and revisit the case for an Australian Bill of Rights.
- David Manne, Executive Director of Refugee Legal
Executive Director of Refugee Legal, David Manne, will assess the current state of asylum and refugee policy in Australia.