Timor-Leste’s political impasse following the appointment of a minority government last year saw fresh elections held on 12 May, less than 10 months after the last parliamentary elections. With a new government being formed this week and the settlement of the maritime boundaries dispute with Australia last March, what does the future hold for Timor-Leste?
The 2018 Timor-Leste Update will focus on future directions for Timor-Leste across the political, economic and societal domains.
- H.E. Ambassador Abel Guterres, Timor-Leste’s Ambassador to Australia, New Zealand and the Republic of Fiji.
- Hergui Luina Fernandes Alves, President of the Timor-Leste Business Woman Association (AEMTL).
- Professor Don Rothwell, Professor of International Law, ANU College of Law.
- Alan Wall, Senior Elections Advisor for the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) in Timor-Leste in 2017 and 2018.
- Guteriano Neves, independent policy analyst and ANU alumnus.
- Mariano Ferreira, Researcher, Timor-Leste Institute for Development Monitoring and Analysis – La’o Hamutuk.