IMPORTANT INFORMATION COVID-19
We regret to advise that due to the global pandemic travel restrictions, LAWS4248 Selected Topics in Australian-United States Comparative Law (Alabama) and LAWS4247 Survey of United States Law are cancelled for Summer 2021.
ANU Law students have the opportunity to travel to the USA for a five week study tour at the University of Alabama.
Alabama summer program
Ten LLB(Hons) or Juris Doctor law students will be given the opportunity to travel to Alabama for a five-week program. The program usually runs from early January to mid February. The semi-intensive courses are taught jointly by academics from the University of Alabama Law School and the ANU College of Law.
Students complete two Laws courses in the program: LAWS4248 Selected Topics in Australian-United States Comparative Law (Alabama) and LAWS4247 Survey of United States Law
- Undertake a comparative study of Australian and US approaches to relevant law matter.
- Experience southern American culture and hospitality!
- Complete two 6-unit law electives.
- Combine study with travel - you are not required to travel as a group to the USA, so you can have an American adventure before or after the program!
- Enjoy free student accommodation in Alabama!
Students must arrive in Birmingham on Saturday 4 January.
First day of class is Monday 6 January.
The last day of class is Thursday 6 February.
The last activity (exam) is on Monday 10 February, finishing by 12 noon.
Students must vacate their accommodation by noon, Tuesday 11 February
Participants are expected to make their own individual transportation arrangements to and from Tuscaloosa. When you arrive in Birmingham you will be met at the airport/bus stop/train station and transported to the Tuscaloosa campus.
Accommodation and expenses
Accommodation is provided in Tuscaloosa, but does not include meals and other personal expenses.
Summary of other program costs* (excluding tuition fees)
The sample budget set out below does not include additional (personal) expenses. Participants will in particular be responsible for the cost of any additional travel they may decide to undertake. Participants are responsible for any personal expenses, eg. telephone, hire cars, etc.
Estimated living expenses in Tuscaloosa (5 weeks)
Airfares(ex Sydney depending on departure date and route,based on low-season rate)
Total estimated costs (excluding tuition fees)
These estimates do not include any additional travel a participant may decide to undertake. Estimated living expenses in Alabama are based on a ‘normal', comfortable, but not lavish, lifestyle.
- Priority will be given to ‘later year students’ (students who have less than 12 semester length courses left to complete by the end of the current academic year).
- Applications must be received before the deadline. While the chronological order of applications is not a part of the criteria for the Alabama program, late applications will not be considered.
- Academic merit and interest in either related topics or US related subjects (ie either your law or other degrees) will be taken into account in selecting applicants.
- The program is only open to ANU Law students.
Important notice on travel insurance
The attention of participants is drawn to the limitations in travel and medical insurance cover provided by the University (full details are provided in the ‘terms and conditions’). The cost of any private travel/medical insurance to complement the University insurance for periods not covered by it has not been included in the cost estimates above. Please see Insurance and ANU Travel Policy.
How to apply for 2021
If offered, applications will be via Terradotta - further information TBA.
T 02 6125 3483