Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Law Exchange

1. Exchange vs study abroad?

Exchange is an official program run by ANU Global Programs where you spend a semester studying towards your degree at an ANU exchange partner university overseas. You continue to be enrolled at ANU, pay ANU fees and can continue to receive HECS. 

Study abroad is where you arrange your own independent overseas stud and you are not enrolled at ANU during your time abroad. See Program Comparison for more information. 


2. Who is eligible to go on exchange?

These points relate to students wanting to study law courses whilst on exchange. If you are enrolled in the FDD law and wish to complete non-law cousres for your other degree you do not need ANU College of Law approval (you will need approval from your other College):

  • LLB students are NOT eligible to apply for exchange until they have completed at least six law courses, including five 1000 level LAWs courses (36 units).
  • JD students are eligible to go on exchange when they have completed a year of full-time study (48 units). JD students can apply in their first year of study.
  • You must have an ANU GPA of 4.0 or above.
  • You must have room in your degree to count the 24 units of study you undertake at the host institution.
  • You generally cannot have already studied more than 24 units of law subjects outside the ANU College of Law in total throughout your degree. This includes exchange, study abroad and cross-institutional study. See Honous in Law and the discount rule.

3. Where can law students go on exchange?

ANU enjoys exchange partnership relationships with over 180 high-quality universities around the world. As a law student you can apply to go to any of these universities provided they meet the requirements listed below.

Students must research potential exchange partners themselves, as each university partner may have different conditions for law exchanges. It is your exchange and your College advisor will not be able to offer information about specific courses or options at specific universities.

When researching exchange partner universities for law, please consider the following:

  • The partner must offer law courses in English (unless you meet the language requirements of the partner university to study in another language, in which case you are free to study approved law courses in another language).
  • The partner must offer law courses that are part of a degree which normally leads to eligibility for admission to practice law in that jurisdiction. You will not receive approval for taking ‘legal studies’ courses in a partner university where those courses are not part of a law degree in that university, with a law course code.
  • Some exchange partners universities are on a ‘restricted list’ in that normally students are only eligible to apply for them if they have a GPA over 6.0. Check with Global Programs as this list does change from time to time.
  • Some exchange partners only accept law students who have completed a certain portion of their studies (e.g. more than 18 months of equivalent full-time law study).

Note: Prior to 2016 there was a very restricted list of partner universities that law students could go to, but that list has now opened up to include the 170 ANU exchange partner universities.


4. When can law students go on exchange?

Students usually to go on exchange in their third or fourth years of a FDD Law. This is an ideal time as you will have settled into your studies, completed some compulsory courses and be clearer about your preferences, strengths and goals. Exact timing will depend on your degree plan, specifically, the completion of compulsory courses.

LLB students are only eligible to apply for exchange when at least six law courses (36 units) have been completed, including five 1000 level LAWs courses (36 units).

JD students are eligible to go on exchange when a year of full-time study (48 units) has been completed.

Note: You are not eligible for OS-Help loan for your exchange if you have less than 6 units remaining in your degree on your return. Speak to the Student Administration team if you have any questions.


5. What law courses can I study on exchange?

Law courses completed on exchange must adhere to the following conditions:

  1. You cannot undertake the purported equivalent of an ANU compulsory law course.
  2. You cannot have already completed substantially the same course at ANU. For example, ‘legal theory’ in the UK system is a subject that is substantially the same as the course of that name taught in the LLB at ANU.
  3. The law course must be offered at a law school within the university (not, for example, a business law course offered by another College/Faculty).
  4. The law course must be offered as part of a degree that normally leads to eligibility for admission to practice law in that jurisdiction.
  5. The course cannot be a fundamental (introductory) International Law course.
  6. The course cannot be a ‘legal studies’ type course.

It is your responsibility to research the courses offered at the partner university to ensure they address issues such as any pre-requisites, language restrictions, restrictions on exchange students, and so on. It is also your responsibility to receive prior approval for a course to reassure yourself that it will receive credit from the College upon return.

Final approval of courses that you will study on exchange MUST be granted by the ANU College of Law Sub-Dean (International) once you have been allocated an exchange placement and prior to departure. Failure to get that approval will result in credit not being granted on return.

Do I need to choose courses that match ANU Law elective courses?
No! A major benefit of exchange abroad is being able to study a different legal system or study law in a different context, and to tap into courses that you would not be able to study at ANU. You certainly do not need to find a partner university that offers a set of courses that ‘match’ the topic of electives offered at the ANU College of Law.


6. Can I study law courses on exchange offered in a language other than English?

Yes, provided you meet the language requirements of the partner university.


7. Can I choose to study only non-law courses towards my double degree?

Yes. If you are in a FDD Arts/Law degree (for example) you may apply to go on exchange solely to study in your Arts degree. If this is the case, you do not need to seek ANU College of Law approval for your exchange application at all.

However, you are strongly advised to consider how the exchange period might impact on the sequencing of your law courses upon return, especially for compulsory courses.

Note: if you are not studying any law courses on your exchange you DO NOT need to get approval from the ANU College of Law.


8. When do I need to seek academic or college advice?

As part of the Global Programs application process, you must submit a signed RAID (Room Available in Degree) form. This form must be approved by ANU College of Law Student Administration). The form lists the 5 university partners you wish to nominate for. If you have any specific questions about your choice of universities you can email

Once you are approved for Exchange and have been allocated a host university, you must have any law courses you are intending to study whilst on exchange approved by the Sub-Dean (International) before departure. This is to ensure you will receive law credit on your return. To request approval for your courses please complete the Studying Elsewhere Approval form.

If you wish to discuss your choices, you can email or make an appointment via


9. When are exchange applications due?

Semester 1: Applications for Semester 1 of the following year usually open in March and close at the end of May the year before.

Semester 2: Applications for Semester 2 of the following year open in September and close at the end of November the year before.

Visit the Global Programs website for exact open and closing dates each year. You should seek to have your RAID form signed well in advance of the deadline.


10. Who decides on exchange applications and how?

ANU Global Programs decides on the outcome of applications. The higher your GPA, the more likely it is that you will succeed in securing an exchange to your preferred institution. The ANU College of Law has no role in the selection and allocation process. All questions about the criteria and process of selection should be directed to ANU Global Programs.

You can apply again if you miss out the first time.


11. How do I apply?

Please go to How to apply.

Updated:  10 August 2015/Responsible Officer:  College General Manager, ANU College of Law/Page Contact:  Law Marketing Team