On the 1 August 1946, the Bill establishing The Australian National University is passed by Federal Parliament.
On 7 December 1951, ANU confers its first degree of an Honorary Doctor of Laws on Sir Robert Garran, one of the authors of the Australian Constitution and a long-time advocate of university education in Canberra.
Professor Herbert Burton presented a bust to Sir Robert Garran in 1952. It now lives in the Law Library. Everyone rubs his nose for good luck!
Faculty of Law established at the Canberra University College.
Canberra University College (including the Faculty of Law) incorporated into the ANU School of General Studies.
Following the amalgamation of the Canberra University College into the ANU in 1960, law teaching continued in the College’s old premises – the Childers Street huts.
The Bengali Law Reports - created by Paul Sheehan and lodged in the ANU Law Library - are part of ANU folklore, annotating comics summarising the law and moral code of Phantom comic episodes.
The ANU Law Students' Society dates from 1963 and has grown to be one of the largest societies on campus.
Published since 1964, the Federal Law Review is recognised as one of Australia's leading academic law journals.
The first wing of the new Law building is completed in 1965. The architects are O’Mahoney Neville & Morgan.
As well as the Bachelor of Laws (LLB), the College has offered postgraduate programs since its commencement. The Master of Laws (LLM) was initially a research degree and was first awarded to David Anderson in 1967.
The Hon Kevin O’Leary was the founding director of ANU Legal Workshop – during this time, Law was heralded as the ‘most innovative faculty on campus'.
Students (relaxing in deck chairs!)vback in 1971, taking a break from study on the Law School lawns.
ANU Legal Workshop offered the first University-based Practical Legal Training (PLT) program in Australia
Dr James O’Donovan graduated with the first PhD from ANU in Law in 1976. He is now an Adjunct Professor at the University of Western Australia Law School.
In 1981 and again in 2010 teams from ANU Law won the Jessup International Mooting Competition in Washington DC, defeating teams from around the world. 1981 team: Vivienne Bath, Andrew Byrnes,Chris Erskine and Tom Faunce. 2010 team: Ellen Chapple, Rohan Kapur, Sarah Lynch, Sneha Rangnath and Sam Thorpe. In 2016, the ANU Law team won the National round, and competed in Washington in the International round. 2016 team: James Barrett, Dan Trevanion, Matilda Gillis, Tara Peramatukorn and William Randles.
The College’s postgraduate coursework programs are now the largest in Australia.
With the appointment of Professor Philip Alston as founding director, CIPL was the first centre in the College and one of the earliest ventures by an Australian law school to set up a research centre concentrating on a particular field of law.
The College inaugurated the annual Geoffrey Sawer lecture in honour of the first Professor of Law at ANU. The lecture has since been delivered by such luminaries as Sir Ninian Stephen, Sir Gerard Brennan, and Professor Leslie Zines. Geoffrey Sawer was appointed as the first Professor of Law at ANU in 1950.
We have an extraordinary visitors program that has seen some of the world's most eminent lawyers and public figures spend time at the College. Visitors have included: the Dalai Lama, Justices of the US Supreme Court, Justices of the High Court of Australia, former Prime Ministers and many others.
We have been honoured to have many of the country's most eminent legal experts as members of the College. Pictured together in 2008 were Emeritus Professors (clockwise from back left) Dennis Pearce, David Hambly, Jim Davis, Don Greig, Jack Richardson and Leslie Zines.
ANU College of Law is now home to over 25 per cent of students at The Australian National University.
ANU Law contributes significantly to the ANU top rating of 5 in Excellence in Research Australia (ERA). We are one of only two Australian universities who have achieved this rating in all three of the ERA rounds, in 2010, 2012, and again in 2015.
On 17 November 2015 we opened our new entrance foyer which features better spaces for students, greater recognition of alumni achievements, and new facilities for formal functions and presentations.
In 2015 ANU Law became Australia's only 20/20 law school - a world's top 20 law school at a world's top 20 university. (QS World University Rankings 2015)
ANU College of Law announced as only Australian university to offer scholarship to Permanent Court of Arbitration