The Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (GDLP) is a flexible online program that can be completed in five months* or over a three year period. The GDLP comprises four components:
- Becoming a Practitioner intensive (BAP)
- Professional Practice Core (PPC)
- Legal Practice Experience (LPE)
- Elective Coursework
* Please note the PPC only runs twice a year so when you commence your BAP, the pre-requisite to the PPC, this influences the length of your program.
Becoming a practitioner (BAP)
The GDLP begins with the Becoming a Practitioner (BAP) intensive, a five day face to face course. BAP is an important foundation and introduces the skills you will need to complete the GDLP and become a competent practitioner. BAP is a compulsory prerequisite for beginning your other coursework.
Professional practice core (PPC)
The PPC takes place over an 18 week period. During this time you will work with fellow students online in a simulated legal practice environment to complete four practice areas:
- Practice Management (including Accounts & Ethics)
- Property Law Practice
- Civil Litigation Practice
- Commercial Law Practice
Legal Practice Experience (LPE)
LPE involves a 20, 40, 60 or 80 day placement in an approved legal environment. The length of time you spend doing LPE determines how many course electives you need to complete.
The number of electives you must complete depends on the amount of LPE you choose.